When the Maria Laach Abbey was abolished in 1802, absolutely nothing in the old library constructing or the existing library was preserved. The manuscripts and prints – around 3700 volumes – were irrevocably lost for the monastery. Nowadays 69 manuscripts from the historic monastery library of Laach can still be found in other locations. Only two of these manuscripts have returned to today’s library.
This building was empty when the Benedictines repopulated the monastery in 1892. The Jesuits, expelled from the territory with the new German Empire in 1872, had taken their books abroad with them. The space was quickly filled with quite a few donations and purchases. Duplicates from the Beuron Archabbey and gifts in the monastery libraries in Einsiedeln and Engelberg formed the basis. There was also a big collection of old books from the library with the Benedictine monastery Neustadt am Key, which was also closed in 1802.
These days the library has about 260,000 volumes. Most of it is now placed within the new magazine. The administration rooms and a new reading area are also situated there.
The older component on the collection has kept its location in the Jesuit library, which has been restored based on monument preservation criteria. Exceptions are especially old and important volumes which can be kept inside a secure rarity magazine beneath excellent climatic circumstances. Probably the most critical manuscript from the historical library for today’s convent is the chapter book with martyrology, Benedictine rule and Laacher necrology from around 1500.
The library will need to at all times provide the monks with a wide selection of spiritual medical capstone project ideas and scientific literature. Over time, the different activities in the abbey and some of its members https://scholar.harvard.edu/feldstein/biocv resulted inside a variety of priorities that had been intensively cultivated. Alongside the history and theology of monasticism, the liturgy developed into the most important unique collection region. We are especially proud of a collection of prints in the Rule of Benedict (about 300 editions). In addition, publications on the region had been constantly collected. The stock of subject-related journals is considerable and is still becoming maintained.
Right now, the library is mainly used for scientific operate, that is nevertheless carried out by individual monks as well as the “Abt-Herwegen Institute” positioned here? Is done. Furthermore, it guarantees that the convent is supplied with literature from all fields.
For organizational and logistical causes, the abbey cannot deliver basic opening instances for the library. Nevertheless, it truly is on www.capstonepaper.net the market as a reference library to any interested reader following prior registration and consultation. We are also connected towards the interlibrary loan technique with the German libraries.